Sweet & Sour Fish
|Photo taken by Mubeen Sultana.|
Lately, my lovely friend, Mubeen Sultana, has been posting these mouthwatering dishes on her Facebook page, and has been slammed with requests for the recipes, one of the requests coming from me. After repeatedly and unashamedly asking for them, I offered to type them up for her, and post them on my blog, and give her the link so she could easily share it with all her friends and family. She has kindly agreed to share her recipes with me, and I hope you enjoy them as much as we all do!
Fish filets (Your choice. Mubeen used dory. I will probably use Tilapia because that is what I have in my fridge)
Lemon juice + Salt - enough to fully marinate each filet.
10-15 dry red chilies
4-5 garlic cloves
Blend them into a paste and set aside.
3tbsp cornflour for batter and extra dry cornflour for coating the filets in before you fry them.
2 tbsp oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp vinegar
2-6 tbsp tomato sauce (sweet) OR chili sauce (spicy)
1/4 cup chicken stock
1-2 green chillies, minced
2 tbsp fresh green onions
1. Marinate the fish and set aside.
2. Prepare the paste and set aside.
3. Mix the cornflour with few drops of water to make a thick batter, set aside.
4. Put the remaining dry cornflour on a plate and set aside to coat the fish before frying.
5. Take the marinated fish, wash off all the marinade, and cut the fish into fingers.
6. Dip the fish fingers in the cornflour batter, and then in the dry cornflour and coat them.
7. Fry them for about 5-6 mins. Remove and place on paper towel to drain excess oil.
8. Start making the gravy by adding oil to a heated skillet, and frying the garlic till golden. Do not burn the garlic.
9. Add the chili garlic paste (according to your levels of spice), and fry well for about 2-3 mins.
10. Add the soy sauce, vinegar, tomato or chili sauce and the chicken stock, and fry well for another 2 mins.
11. Add the fish fingers to this sauce and adjust the water accordingly. Less water if you want it dry and more if you want it more gravy-ish.
12. If you want more spice, add some green chilies.
13. Remove from heat, and garnish with green onions.
14. Serve hot.
I cannot tell you how excited I am to share these delish recipes from Mubeen! Stay tuned for more. In the meantime, enjoy the fish!