WoW!!! What an amazing book! I finished it about a month ago and have still not stopped thinking about it...If you have not read it, it is an absolute MUST READ!!
From the cover:
This story, dazzling in its powerful simplicity and inspiring wisdom, is about an Andalusian shepherd boy named Santiago who travels from his homeland in Spain to the Egyptian desert in search of a treasure buried in the Pyramids. Along the way, he meets a Gypsy woman, a man who calls himself king, and an alchemist, all of whom point Santiago in the direction of his quest. No one knows what the treasure is, or if Santiago will be able to surmount the obstacles along the way. But what starts out as a journey to find worldly goods turns into a discovery of the treasure found within. Lush, evocative and deeply human, the story of Santiago is an eternal testament to the transforming power of our dreams and the importance of listening to our hearts.
It resonated so loudly and powerfully within my own heart as I have always considered myself to be on a journey and my heart and soul are my Urim and Thummim. (This book actually talks about the Urim and Thummim and I was floored by that!) It validated my feelings and thoughts about this life being a journey and that lessons were always being learned, and when we have learned one then we are ready to understand more and learn another. Our journey takes us along different paths and puts us in front of different people who all serve a purpose as we in turn serve a purpose to others in their journey. This book beautifully wove the connection that we have to each and every person and living thing on this earth and that we are all created by the same Being. The message to follow your dreams, follow you heart and see yourself through your own eyes, become more aware of yourself as you observe and allow life to teach you...is a very powerful. It made my connection to my Creator become stronger than it was before and I still continue to ponder quotes and questions that this book carries on its pages.
"If you believe yourself worthy of the thing you fought so hard to get, then you become and instrument of God."
"It's the possibility of having dreams come true that makes life interesting."
"It's the simple things in life that are the most extraordinary."
"What's the world's greatest lie? It's this: that at a certain point in our lives, we lose control of what's happening to us, and our lives become controlled by fate. That's the world's greatest lie. "
What is a Personal Legend? It's what you have always wanted to accomplish. Everyone, when they are young, knows what their Personal Legend is. At that point in their lives, everything is clear and everything is possible. They are not afraid to dream, and to yearn for everything they would like to see happen to them in their lived. But, as time passes, a mysterious force begins to convince them that it will be impossible for them to realize their Personal Legend."
"You have to choose between something you have accustomed to and something that you want to have."
"I don't want to change anything because I don't know how to deal with change. I'm used to the way I am."
"This is what we call love: when you are loved, you can do anything in creation. When you loved, there is no need at all to understand what's happening, because everything happens within you."
1. Do you have a personal realtionship with any part of the natural world - do you feel connected to nature - the ocean, the trees, the mountains? How do you feel when you are out in the open natural world versus the concrete jungles we sumbit ourselves to day after day?
2. Can you think of examples from your own life when you had to give up something to meet a goal and found the price too high?
3. Paulo Coehlo once said that alchemy is all about oursuing our spiritual quest in the physical world as it was given to us. It is the art of transmuting the reality into something sacred. With this in mind, can you define YOUR personal legend? What inner resources you need to continue the journey?
4. What is the treasure you are seeking right now? Will you have to change your course a bit or do you feel you are on the right track?
5. Do you think it is possible to achieve more than one treasure in your Personal Legend? Have there been times in your life when you felt resistant to living out your Personal Legend?
I told you it was amazing... do read it and add your comments here after. If you have already read it, please share your thoughts as well.